Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Pack your Bags with Shoe Bags - Easy Project

HI all,

A couple of weeks ago while I was packing for my vacation (I'll share pics soon) I ran into a recurring problem. It’s a problem for me that is!! How to pack my shoes. I know you're thinking, just put them in the suitcase, duh! But, I have always hated putting my dirty bottomed shoes in with my clean clothes!  Well, the solution was so easy I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of it sooner. Shoe bags. I know simple right!!


                          
                                                           4 vinyl covered animal print shoe bags

So, as if I didn't have enough to do, I decided that I needed at least 4 shoe bags and my “Sweetie” probably needed 3 bags.  Using fabric that I already had I got busy. The finished bags for men’s shoes were 18”x16” and for women I made them 16” x 14”. Of course they can be any size you want, just remember you need a larger bags for high heels than flats.



My first step was to fold the fabric in half lengthwise and press a crease.  Next, on the right side of the fabric approx. ¾” from the top and 1 “ from the salvage edge I stitched a ½” buttonhole. Carefully cut open buttonhole.  Oops, I was in such a hurry to finish that I didn't take pictures of every step...




Next, I located a point that was 5” down from the top and centered from the edges and embroidered monograms at this point. You can stencil your monogram using a stencil and paint, or even using a Sharpie . Or you can skip the personalization. But you know me, I’m a sucker for anything that I can put a monogram on!!


The final steps were to fold the fabric right sides together along the side and across the bottom, making a 1/2" seam. To strengthen the seams I double stitched and finished them on my serger.I highly recommend that you finish the edges if the fabric frays. Next, fold down the top just  past the buttonhole and stitch to form a casing. Make sure the buttonhole is visible on the right side. Thread the drawstring or ribbon thru the button hole and back out the same button hole. Done.

 These were super easy to make, it took me about 2 hours from cutting out the fabric to packing shoes for 7 of these bags. This easy project and that includes embroidering them!





I think these would make great gifts for bridal showers, the person who has everything, and of course Christmas gifts.  Who wouldn't like a few of these!!





No comments:

Post a Comment