Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sometimes When You Least Expect It!



 As we planned to attend my son's graduation from college (yea me!! Two down and one more to go), my daughter and I looked for a cute, lightweight bolero or shrug to go with her sundress.   We weren't sure what the weather would be like in Upstate NY and wanted to be prepared.  There was nothing to be had in the stores, but wait, one day while on line I found it!! I'm always on the look out for something new, quick and inexpensive to make. Okay, you know I really wanted to say cheap, but inexpensive sounds a lot better.

It is a cute, quick and inexpensive little shrug that she could wear. It required 2 things, a t-shirt and
ribbon.  What do you know, I had both so, away I went.  And here it is ,what do you think of the finished product. 

Front

                                                         Back

Here's how you make it:

You need:
1 t-shirt
scissors
straight pins
a saftey pin
approx.  30  inches of 1in. wide  satin ribbon.

Locate the center of the t-shirt. I folded the shirt in half and ironed it, creasing the center.


      2 Cut from the hem up the crease and around the neckband.       


         
                                    
    
                   3. Next fold back 1 1/4 in. and pin along the cut edge, forming a casing.  Also mark 2 in. up from hem at center of sleeve.                           

The next step is to stitch along the edge, forming the casing. And stitching a gathering stitch from the bottom of the sleeve to the 2 in. point. Then gather and secure stitches.




Using the saftey pin, thread the ribbon thru the casing. Pull through, adjusting gathers and
DONE!!



That took less than 30 minutes.  Imagine the color possiblities.  With a few basic color t's and a variety of ribbons the possibilities are endless.


Doubt kills more dreams than failure.




No comments:

Post a Comment