Thursday, April 18, 2013

Thrift Coat All Dolled Up


On a trip out of town I was trying to find my way back to my hotel (battery in cell dead, forgot the charger) when I saw a very familiar sign 










Like a beacon in the night, I had to stop.  After all, someone could probably give me directions back to my hotel.  So, in I went. I noticed right away that this store had an add on. Attached (but also with a separate entrance) was the upscale “Boutique" that was obviously where the designer and high end donations ended up.

I spotted this great trench coat. The only thing I could find wrong with her was, no belt. The price was right, $6.99 and it was the right color tag , so I got it for 50% off.  $3.50!!  I figured with a trip to the fabric store I could make a belt and maybe doll her up a bit.  I then took a quick stroll through the Boutique, but I felt the prices were a little high so it was time to think about an encore for my trench.

















I decided to add a “wave “of fabric along the hemline and the sleeves. The belt would be out of the same fabric.  Once I decided on a color palette of gray, black, and yellow, it way off to the fabric store
This was the challenge; I had to go to a couple of stores before I found something that I liked. It was actually a home décor fabric. But what creative seamstress hasn’t used home décor fabric for a jacket, etc. Armed with my 50% off coupon I purchased 1 yard of fabric for $10. I didn’t really find a fabric with the yellow that I wanted so I decided to add piping around the belt in a “yellowish, gold “color.























Here’s the finished project. I think she looks great.










No comments:

Post a Comment