Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Faux Leather Top Table Makeover



I bought this very common looking table at a local Goodwill to use as a display piece for my Christmas village. 





After Christmas, the table was a little too big for me to move and it really wasn't in the way, so… Fast forward a year and finally, this winter I knew it was time to do something about the table.  It had been repaired when I bought it as one leg wasn't secure. The down side of this was that whoever repaired it didn't have a clue how to do so without screwing a metal strip to the outside of wobbly leg. It wasn't pretty at all. Ugh, I actually forgot to take a picture of it.  After removing the top, I turned the base upside down and began to repair it. A bolt that was used to secure the leg was stripped so I simply bought a slightly bigger bolt as hole was now too big and it was fixed.This installed with a little glue thrown in worked perfectly. Or so I thought...


Here you can see where the leg split and I had to use wood filler.
 When I turned the base right side up, I discovered that the larger bolt had caused the wooden leg to split. I used wood filler on the crack then sanded it. Next, I set to work on the table top. I had a bolt of vinyl that looked like a faux animal skin. Don't ask me what animal, it just looks like some kind of animal skin! Doesn't it?


 I had purchased this for another project but that desk didn't make it on the moving truck9that,means I've had this vinyl for at least 2 years) so I decided to use it on this table. I used spray adhesive on the top and smoothed the vinyl onto the table top. I then turned it over and stapled the vinyl around the bottom of the table top.  I wanted to add something else to the top to give it a bit of flair. I decided on nail heads. I found some for a great price online.
Next, I had to figure out how to get the nail heads on and keep them spaced properly. I finally designed a “spacing tool” by cutting out notches in a 2” strip of plastic canvas (often used for cross stitching)




 It was very flexible  and worked well on the edge of the round table.
This was a very challenging task. I discovered how difficult it was to nail the tacks in straight. I finally had to go easy on myself and realize that it was my first attempt at this and it would have the look of hand worked tacks, not something put in by a machine.
Pics



Finally finshing up the top I moved to painting the base. I wanted a color that was as close to the color of the vinyl. The base was primed, painted and seasled with a satin finish..
Here it is





I love how this project looked in the end.  The thing is, I really don’t have room for it so I would like to sell this table. It will be going into my Etsy store soon.
Let me know what you think of this little lady, she's all dressed up and looking for somewhere to go!!







2 comments:

  1. Hello friends, nice post and nice urging commented at this place, I am in fact enjoying by these. Leather Repairs Bradford

    ReplyDelete