I hinted in my last post that I hadn't forgotten about the ranch reno. There are a couple of things going on there. The living room and hallway walls have been prepped for painting. Lot's of holes in varying sizes have made that an interesting job. A couple of large holes required a little more than spackling and a quick sanding.
The larger holes required something else. One hole was fixed by tying a piece of string thru a flexible piece of plastic mesh,. the mesh was bent enough to put it thru the hole. Using the two end of the string the mesh was pulled tight against the hole from the inside. Of course before pulling it tight, spackling was squirted around the edges of the mesh. This made it stick to the inside of the wall. We did have to eventually tie the string to the step stool to keep it tight against the wall, well it was that or stand there holding the string for quite a while.
While the original plan was to personally paint the whole interior it has grown a bit. Now, the exterior has been added to the project. So the process of interviewing painters is taking up a lot of time, but you have to do your homework.
When I realized all the estimates so far included filling and sanding holes in the walls, I was so done with spackling. Next there's making a final decision on paint colors. The only decision so far has been the exterior colors, going for lightening up the exterior so this was the choice:
Sherwin Williams photo showing : Cork Wedge, Smokehouse and Rustic Red.
A new front door in almost this exact "Rustic Red" was the find of the week a couple of weeks ago at the ReStore in Canton, GA You'll see it in a later post. The shutters will also be in Rustic Red .
A more recent trip to the Habitat ReStore in Lawrenceville, GA led me to another great find. All of the tile was 20% off, and they had a lot to choose from. I found a really great buy. They had almost 3 full boxes of 6 x 6 slate tiles ( a total of almost 132 tiles) for $6.00 per box. With the sale, I got the tile for $12.72!! I used this great tile calculator and allowing for 5% waste and the fact that I will add an accent tile, it qualifies as a major SCORE!!
I am thinking about using one of these tiles as an accent tile with the charcoal slate on the floor.
I would cut this into 3 " strips and use with the slate.
So, as you can see there has been some forward movement on this project. Oh, and if you remember there was a post about using Ikea pieces for a "built in" in the living room, still trying to make something fit in the 134" of wall space available. And the saga continues....